Monday 13 May 2013

Interview with @leebrazil A Gentleman never does, you know...

I have the wonderfully prolific and talented Lee Brazil on my blog today, answering my nosy questions,  so settle back and enjoy getting to know one of my favourite M/M authors!

So glad to you have you here, Lee!



Q. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

A. I'm a retired teacher of grammar and composition. I returned to my love of writing after retiring, and currently can be found most days pecking away at the computer keyboard.


Q. What made you write ‘this’ story?

A. A Gentleman Never Does is the result of a conversation with a writing colleague about pulp fiction. Pulp fiction followed a formula, and was generally about 8K words long. It came in all genres, including romance, and I took it as a challenge to write a "pulp fiction" Regency era m/m romance. It took about three days to do the first draft, that's how excited I was by the idea.

Three days? Wow, you were inspired, huh?



Q. Tell us about your cover.

A. This cover is designed by Victoria Miller at Breathless Press. She had a hard time finding character models who looked close enough to the period without looking like little kids. I think she succeeded in creating a very sensual image.

Q. Describe a typical day’s writing for us

A. I wake up before sunrise, thank you daylight savings time, and start drinking the coffee while the sun puts on its show. Then I do the email checking thing, and the tweeting and the Facebooking thing, then settle down to write. I usually re-read what I've already written before adding new words, sometimes tweak a little. I try to add between 1 – 2 K a day.

Q. What inspires you?

A. Sunrises, music, blue jeans, blue skies, fresh cut grass, the idea that everyone deserves to love and be loved

Q. If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

A. I'd be a chef. I love cooking J

Q. Do your characters ever surprise you?

A. EVERY DAMN DAY

LOL! I hear you! Pesky things these characters ;-)

Q. What could not do without when you’re writing?

A. Coffee & music

Q. What words of wisdom do you have for the aspiring authors out there?

A. Never Give up.

Q. Where do you see yourself in ten year’s time?

A. On a sandy beach drinking tequila ogling buff young men with my honey by my side?

Love it! Can I join you? lol

Q. Do you have a favourite quote?

A. Percy Shelley's "Soul meets soul on Lover's Lips" It's the best way to describe  a kiss I've ever seen.

Q. Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?

A. Yes. I'm answering these questions right now because I'm a little stuck about where I'm going next in my new wip.

Q. What other books can your readers look forward to?

A. Coming Up next month I have Temptation, and m/m/m ménage from Breathless Press.

Q. And finally can you share an excerpt with us?

"Why hesitate? It's the card room at a debutante's ball, not a den of iniquity or a Peninsular battlefield." The lazy drawl came just before Gideon Westwood became aware of the heady scent of bay rum, the warm press of a body against his in the doorway.
In front of Gideon lay a room full of men in evening garb, chatting idly and playing cards with practiced boredom, mingling with the occasional jewel-clad matron flirtatiously fluttering a fan. Candlelight flickered on bored faces and servants with trays of drinks moved silently among the crowded tables. There were a few open tables, and at some a great deal of money was changing hands. He wouldn't join those. A gentleman never played deep in mixed company. Serious gambling was for the clubs; this was just a way to pass the evening while doing his duty to his family.
His carefully tied neck cloth became a little too tight, sweat dampened his palms. Behind him lurked a ballroom full of white clad young misses, each determined to capture a prize on the marriage mart. Not that he was much of a prize; he was only respectably set up, a few thousand a quarter, and though he had a scattering of titled relatives, he was unlikely, barring a plague on the house of Westwood, to ever inherit any of them. If all a young lady's family required in a husband was passable good looks, a modest country home, and a merely comfortable existence, he'd be hounded to the altar sooner or later. No sense making it easy for them by haunting dance floors and such. He'd left his lady mother chatting with the other dowagers and his younger sister making up a set with a pimple-faced baronet, and fled for safer ground. His hesitation in the card room doorway had been intended to insure that he'd avoid an encounter with the gentleman who had just spoken.
Playing cards wasn't his only option; he could blow a cloud in the gardens. It was tempting to do just that, but he wouldn't put it past the gentleman behind him to follow him to the gardens either. Better to stick to cards. Being alone with Gareth was never a good idea. Gideon didn't take his gaze from the card players though his every nerve was on alert. Much as he hated to admit it, he recognized the person behind him as much by his body's reaction as by familiarity.
Gareth Belmain, languid dandy of the ton, stood behind him, entirely too close, even in the crush of people at Lady Biggles' eldest daughter's ball. Gideon stood his ground though. He was tired of giving way to the persistent pressure Gareth put on him. They were complete opposites, and Gareth seemed to take a great deal of interest in pointing out their differences. Gideon usually just gave way, turning the other cheek. He'd known Gareth since they were infants; their mothers were bosom bows, and their family lands adjoined. If either of them had had the misfortune to be born female, they'd have been engaged at birth. Instead, they were friends, then schoolmates, then something more, and now...uneasy acquaintances perhaps best described the current status of affairs between them.

Sounds great, Lee. Thanks so much for stopping by today! You can buy this fab story at these places:

Breathless Press  ARe  Amazon   Bookstrand

Thanks for having me over Doris!

You can find me online at
Twitter @leebrazil


1 comment:

  1. I love Lee's work and this is a perfect way to get me writing so I can indulge in the book as a gift to myself...

    ReplyDelete